â€œFor the Son of Man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will render[give rewards] to everyone according to his deeds.â€ Â Â Â Â Matthew 16:27 (WEB)
Some days are hard. Any day that I feel myself drawn into a valley I try to remember the blessings for which I thanked God the night before when I was falling asleep. If I still want to attend my own personal â€˜pity partyâ€™, I remember those who in their daily lives must struggle for food, clean water, freedom to worship without fear of reprisal, and those who have chosen to serve these same people.
Rewards mean very different concepts to all of us. When I think of the â€˜rewardsâ€™ that God has promised me, I am usually thinking of what will be mind eternally. I look at the lives of the disciples and I do not see lives of earthly rewards as in money, homes, and general abundance. They were more about Kingdom building than inheritance building for their children and grandchildren. Their faith was their legacy.
I believe it is also important for me to remember that I am not â€˜bankingâ€™ favors so as to â€˜buyâ€™ a big mansion from God in heaven! What I do here â€“ I do because I choose to be obedient and have an opportunity to serve and witness to others the saving power of Jesus. I have heard people talk about â€˜diamond door knobsâ€™ on their mansions â€“ and I am just excited to be in any heavenly dwelling!
- Therefore Yahweh has rewarded me according to my righteousness,
- according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight. Â Â Â Psalm 18:24 (WEB)
- It is verses like this that I read and accept and yet…I donâ€™t dwell on them. In my mind, I am happy when God blesses me and gives more than I can imagine! But I do not expect a â€˜pound of rewardâ€™ because I did a â€˜pound of obedienceâ€™. I welcome input on this. It seems a point that could bring good discussion!
- Each day is a reward from God as He guides me along the path He has for me. There is so much to see and be blessed as we walk the path of each day. Some days I have to consciously look harder than others to see what God wants me to see and other days â€“ itâ€™s like there are spotlights on those special moments.
- Letâ€™s take time today to consider Godâ€™s rewards. Let us be more open to the many and varied rewards that He has for each of us. Letâ€™s encourage each other by tell the stories of Godâ€™s rewards. Help me to see the rewards and I will try to do the same for you! Accept His rewards today!