Have this in your mind, which was also in Christ Jesus, who, existing in the form of God, didnâ€™t consider equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, yes, the death of the cross. Therefore God also highly exalted him, and gave to him the name which is above every name; that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, those on earth, and those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.Â Â Â Philippians 2:5-11 (WEB)
Paul doesnâ€™t want to just give a mandate without pointing me back to the example that I am to emulate. â€œIf you do not understand what I am saying, then let me point to the One who has set the example!â€
Jesus, God Himself, became flesh and did so with an attitude of complete submission. Did you see the steps from heaven to earth?
- He emptied Himself of everything that was of the â€œMeâ€. No pride there.
- He took the character of a servant.
- He was 100% human. He was me. He was you.
- He was humble â€“ and obedient even to His death.
- He accepted a death that was horrific and humiliating â€“ a Roman crucifixion.
Jesus came willingly and completed the mission given to Him. He gave totally. And what happened?
- Jesus was highly exalted. No one and nothing is above Him.
- And His name is the Name that shall cause every knee to bend in adoration. All above (angels), all on the earth (those who believed in Him and those who did not), and all under the earth (the devil and all his little ankle-biters) will bow!
And this Jesus is my Friend. Jesus is my LORD. It is He whom Isaiah said will never tire or sleep (Isaiah 41:28). He is the Lamb who will return with a sword. In following the example of my Savior, I find the joy that is beyond the twists of suffering in this world. As a servant in the likeness of Jesus, I find the peace in Him that is all I need.